[AMPS] TL-922 and other tube equipment

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] TL-922 and other tube equipment
From: CB711MACK@aol.com (CB711MACK@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 07:08:43 EDT
 Hello ALL,
   I was reading Carl's KM1H response to a message concerning the TL-922 amp
with the cracked tube, he mentioned the resistance to the tube pins (see
excerpt below) and that brought to mind a little known idea that I discovered
a while back, when I brought some old tube equipment out of storage, I noticed
light corrosion on the contacts of the tube sockets, and I wanted to clean
them. I also do welding from time to time, well the tip of a cutting torch has
different sized holes, depending on what type of cutting tip you use. They
make a tool that cleans these holes out(molten metal gets in them, plugs them
up), this tool is perfect for cleaning tube sockets, it comes with different
guages of cleaning "wires". These wires have small serations on them similar
to a file, and they a perfect for this job, you can purchase them at most any
welding supply store or at farm supply stores like Tractor Supply Co. or
OTASCO. Choose the one size smaller than the tube pins so as to not spread the
contacts, and lightly work the "wire" up and down in each hole, carefull not
to break/bend or spread the contacts.  It doesn't take many passes to clean a
contact. Ask for a acetylene torch tip cleaning tool.
   Thought I would share this with all....       John Hamilton

That can occur if the socket filament connectors have developed a
resistance to the tube pin(s). The heat will be enough to melt the solder
out of the pin and cracked glass is possible.
Before replacing the tube be certain that the socket connections are not
discolored, or have lost tension.

73   Carl   KM1H
Amplifier Repairs and 6M Conversions Our Speciality