[AMPS] filament pins

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] filament pins
From: w8ik@ibm.net (Joe Subich, W8IK)
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 20:51:06 -0400

> I looked high and wide about a year ago for a dip. Finally found Tarn-X
> at WalMart and it does work quite well. Years ago it was available almost
> everywhere.

Just make sure you completely rinse anything dipped in Tarn-X before
putting it back together!  The residue seems to be corrosive over the
long term.  I actually bought Tarn-X by the case (four each gallon
jugs) when I was rebuilding cavities on a 25KW 216 MHz transmitter
a couple years ago.  With four big cavities, it worked great.

The process involved completely disassembling everything, giving it
a Tarn-X bath (including cleaning all the small parts and finger stock
with a toothbrush to remove tarnish and dirt buildup), rinsing in clean
water and finally an alcohol rinse.  Cavities sure looked good when
we were done ... video didn't look all that bad either <G>.

73,
   ... Joe Subich, W8IK/4  ex-AD8I
       <W8IK@IBM.NET>