[AMPS] re: beryllium in tubes

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] re: beryllium in tubes
From: ITR@NANOTEQ.co.za (Ian Roberts)
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 08:59:42 +0200
Thanks to the gentlemen that responded with their OPINIONS.

Here is another submission, in direct conflict, also incorporating
another dimension as a side shoot!

>"Hi Ian - the hazard normally noted is the possibility of intense x-ray
>>radiation when operated at full output.  The BeO is very small in
>these tubes, normal disposal is OK in RSA!"

I think the point here is that electrons bombarding the anode, cause
x-ray emission as a secondary effect.
Since I intend to operate these tubes at full output, I shall be looking
for lead-lined boxes from now on!

The toxicity of beryllium was not queried, only a fool would belittle
it. All of its compounds are hazardous, including salts, metals,
liquids, and vapours. For example, literature originating in the USA (a
government agency), gave the permissible dose for "occupationally
exposed workers" at 0.1 micrograms/cubic meter of air/per month. I
reckon that the average ham, pushing a guad of tubes containing the
stuff, and passing a bunch of air through the overheated chimneys, would
breathe in that quantity in 5 minutes!
Note that the sypmtoms of poisoning, particularly when breathed in as
the oxide (ceramic powder reduced to dust), could take 20 years to
manifest themselves. There's no antidote once poisoned.
Interesting also that one of the prime natural sources is tobacco....

Some years ago I read, in QST I think, that the incidence of leucaemia
in USA hams is about twice that of the population's norm.
Exposure to "intense x-rays" from tubes at high output, fields around
high voltage power supplies, RF radiation, X-rays from mal-adjusted
monitor screens (EHT creeping past 25kV), direct poisoning from
compounds, your guess is a good as mine.

Cowboys don't cry.

Ian Roberts ZS6BTE