[AMPS] Cosmetic Parts for ALPHAs

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Cosmetic Parts for ALPHAs
From: broz@csn.net (John Brosnahan)
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 19:48:13 -0600 (MDT)
At 06:16 PM 10/15/98 -0400, you wrote:

>A friend of mine has an older ALPHA amp, I believe it is an 77DX or
whatever the single tube version was.  He needs some cosmetic work done and
asked me to ask the EXPERTS about what replacement parts are available from
ALPHA Power or other sources.  I think he needs the outer case straightened
and painted and maybe new meters and knobs.  He got it cheap since it was
in such bad shape.  Is a new case available or maybe someone knows who
originally manufactured them?  Maybe someone has a web site?

>Does anyone have sources for outside case parts or know of someone who
specializes in refurbishing these amps.

>BTW, what parts does ALPHA stock for more recent amps?
>
>Thanks in advance,

Tom,

Best way to find out answers for questions like this is to call Alpha/Power!
They are the only people who know for sure!

The case for the 77Dx, Sx is no longer made, which means some parts are
becoming difficult or impossible to get.  The sheet metal can usually be
repaired and repainted or new ones fabricated.  Alpha/Power tries to keep
front
panels and sides and top in stock, but there has been a run on them recently
(sunspots?).  The aluminum extrusions are the real problem--we have a
few of some of them left but some are out of stock and no longer
available from the original company.  We have had good luck
on some of them that have minor problems just straightening them
and re-anodizing them.  Some we have had TIG welded and then
replated.  Hard to see the repair work,  it is done so well.  But it is not
cheap to have this kind of detail work done by machine shops.

We are trying to keep ALL of the old amps going and have most
(if not all) electrical parts available but sometimes it is not that
easy to find parts that were designed into an amp over 25 years ago.

For instance, it is my understanding that the B&W 800 RF choke is
no longer made from ceramic but now is Delrin.  So if you have a
blown RF choke then you have to either rewind it yourself, or send your
old one back and we will rewind it on your original form.

As far as the new products go, we stock everything.  Dick made a
committment to all of his original customers by starting Alpha/Power
when the commercial divisons of ETO were sold.  This committment
includes keeping ALL of the old amps going, as well.

The only real problem is that some of these older parts are getting
VERY expensive.  Just yesterday I was stunned to learn that the
8874/3CX800A7 SOCKET had quadrupled in price to us in the last 10
years, and they were outrageously priced back then.  Band switches
are so expensive it makes ME want to get into the switch business.
(Food for thought for you entrepreneurs out there.)

On parts, give Steve a call at Alpha/Power---970-535-4173.  If Steve
can't find it in stock ask for me and maybe I can find a replacement
or have ideas for rebuilding the problem part.

73

John Brosnahan  W0UN
President and Technical DIrector
Alpha/Power, Inc.