[AMPS] FS: Interesting Amplifier

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] FS: Interesting Amplifier
From: amps@txrx.demon.co.uk (Steve Thompson)
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 08:26:32 +0100
In message <19981018.111734.9887.3.WC6W@juno.com>, Radio WC6W
<wc6w@juno.com> writes

>  Hughes Kilowatt HF contnuous coverage 2-36 MHz airborne power
>amplifier, with a single 4CX250 family tube driving four 4CX250 family?
>finals. One of approximately 200 originally built for the B-58 Hustler
>bomber.   About 9" x 9" x 9" overall.  Really cute servo tuning drive on
>the capacitors and bandswitching.  Fantastic packaging job,
>appears to be complete, had to cost $100,000+ new...  now only $100 !!!
>(plus  shipping if necessary)
>
>Note:  There are two gotchas with this piece.   It certainly runs on 400
>cycles and it was intended to be filled with a fluorocarbon coolant in
>operation.

Oh, what fun to be had! One place I worked a while ago did a similar
thing with a 4CX1500. It was great except that the fluid circulating
through the anode made a great Van de Graaf generator and eventually
there was an almighty spark in the heat exchanger. The project got
abndoned just before I joined so I missed the real fun :-(

Steve