[AMPS] Neighborhood RFI and Amps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Neighborhood RFI and Amps
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 10:15:53 -0800

>>I am not aware of a "Bullet Proof" answering
>>machine,  is there one available?

In preliminary tests, no answering machine has withstood a 30-06 bullet.
Seriously, I RF-proofed (13k on 7.25MHz ssb) my neighbor's answering
machine by wrapping the power cord on a 7.5" Mu=800 ferrite-rod and
installing an AG6K double-filter in the telephone line.  See my Web site
for the telephone RFI double-filter schematic.  .

>> I have put fettites and
>>K-Com filters on the line to the answering machine;  also
>>ferrites on the AC power cord for the machine.
>
>Problem is that most of the consumer electronics these days that fall
>under part 15 regulations are just cheap garbage.  ......
>Jon

Some of the Walmart telephones are supposedly not that bad, Jon. //   If
I was a telephone manufacturer, I would add the requisite100k-ohm 0.1w
resistors at the input pins of the ICs - thereby making the telephone
highly RFI-resistant.  Then I would BOLDLY POINT OUT on the box that this
telephone is highly-resistant to interference from police, aircraft, CB,
Flying Saucer, and even Ham radio transmitters.  Total additional
manufacturing cost:  under 10 cents.

Rich. Measures.  Web site:  www.vcnet.com/measures