[AMPS] Advice on Amps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Advice on Amps
From: pelliott@flash.net (N3GPU)
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 09:44:16 -0500
I've been following this reflector the past few months.  It's a shame there
are no strongly-held opinions here ;-)...

Not having owned an amp in over 15 years, I plan to get one again soon.  My
parameters, in no particular order:

- "True" KW out on 160 through 10 including 12 and 17 if possible - not
de-rated for some bands
- QSK internal or external
- Ability to hold up through a 48-hour contest SSB-RTTY-CW
- $1.5K budget, somewhat flexible
- Would much rather have used quality than new headaches
- Un-finicky tuneup & loading into reasonably well-matched antennas

I'm going to throw myself on the tender mercies of the subscribers here and
solicit opinions...

- Specific amps you've had good/bad experience with -- I'm interested in
details
- Specific features you feel are important to look for, and why, either in
view of or in addition to my parameters above

Please -- I'm not soliciting amps for sale -- I'm looking for advice.  Since
this could turn into a big thread, please respond directly to me so we don't
clutter the reflector.  If anyone is interested in a summary of responses,
let me know and I'll gladly post it.

Thanks and 73,

Paul Elliott N3GPU
pelliott@flash.net
Westminster, Maryland USA
N3GPU Web Pages http://www.flash.net/~pelliott
Get Your Net Working!  Unlimited Internet Access as low as $13.12 a month
from FlashNet, America's premier Internet provider.  For more information
and
to sign up online visit QRV Resources, an independent FlashNet
representative,
at http://www.qth.com/qrv.