[AMPS] Re: SV: G2DAF

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: SV: G2DAF
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 15:36:08 -0500

On Sun, 1 Nov 1998 10:31:05 +0000 "Ian White, G3SEK"
<G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk> writes:
SNIP

>Later I met Dick Thornley a few times, heard him talk to clubs, and
>saw
>his construction work. He was a perfectionist in every detail; and he
>owned his own spectrum analyser which was a real rarity in those days.
>Certainly he was the first to ask for criticism about his own signal
>quality. He also wrote a regular magazine column on SSB techniques
>when
>this was all new, experimental stuff.
>
>So I am in two minds about his amplifier. Part of me says "This should
>not work." But having been around at that time, and known some of the
>people involved, I also feel that G2DAF would not have given his name
>anything that put out a poor-quality signal.
>
>There's much more to learn about this.
>
>73 from Ian G3SEK          Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'
>                          'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
>                           http://www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk/g3sek

Ian, thank you very much for jumping into this issue. I also feel there
is a lot to be learned and particularly get annoyed by those types who
reject something outright if it does not fit their ideas.
Sort of reminds me of a recent incident where someone with no clue on how
to conduct a mediated (reflector) debate had to revert to childish
personal attacks which are typically the response of the losing party..

73   Carl   KM1H

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]