Fw: [AMPS] How to build the ultimate HF amplifier ?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Fw: [AMPS] How to build the ultimate HF amplifier ?
From: doshhan@vaxxine.com (doshhan)
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 98 21:48:44 PST

> ADDED TOPIC
> Why not use two PI-networks? One for, let's say 6-10-15-20m and the other one
> for the 40-80-160m bands? Switched with a vaccum relay.
> Of course more parts and more space, but alot easier to handle the few C1-C2
> pF's
> needed for 6 and 10m, and the many pF's needed for 80 and 160m.
>
> I think the really ultimate home brew amp would have different PI-tanks for
> each
> band arranged around the tube. (If size isn't a BIG matter)
> One tube with 7 PI-tanks, each one tuned to your favourite QRG on the band,
> switched

I have an old QST article (maybe it was HRM) from the 70's called 'The Ecology
Linear amplifier' where the author did just what you're thinking about.  A
single 4-1000 feeding 5 or 6 separate Pi tanks.  He used some weird scheme with
a telephone dial to switch the tanks in and out as he changed bands.

Phil T
VE3OZZ