[AMPS] ETO/Alpha Electronic Bias Switching

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] ETO/Alpha Electronic Bias Switching
From: paulc@mediaone.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 11:16:11 -0500
Over the weekend, I re-activated the electronic bias switch in one of my
PA-70V vapor-cooled amps.  Prior to this change, bias was fixed, pursuant to
some information I received from another "vapor" owner of an alleged ETO
service bulletin describing this mod.

Upon reactivating the electronic bias switch, I noticed that grid current
idles slightly negative (below the meter's zero point at about 15-20 mA) in
the high-voltage position.  However, grid current is zero in the low voltage
position.  This is a grounded-grid, AB1 amplifier using what's essentially a
3CX1000A7 tube.

Does anyone know if this is normal for electronic bias switching and is
there any degradation in performance in allowing this condition to continue?

Thanks!

-Paul, W9AC