[AMPS] (no subject)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] (no subject)
From: zeitler@ibm.net (zeitler@ibm.net)
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 22:21:25 -0800

>>    Hi Alan and the Group,
>>    The most reliable, best amp ever built for amateur use was the
>>Drake L-4B.
>
>The RF deck..yes. the PS was worse than Heath or Dentron. I would guess
>that amp (and the L-7) were designed by 2 committees that never talked to
>each other.

Perhaps Sir Carl, perhaps. For unknown reasons R.L. Drake engineers chose to
run only c. 2700 volts on the plates which is a real shame. The amp really
likes HV or around 3600. This is a beutiful amp to add 160. Lots of room in
and around the main tank L. Very rugged tune C cap was used. Glass chimneys,
etc...

The L-7 is a complete and total piece of dried up fecal material in
comparison. Very cheesey RF deck. Same dc supply. yeah, 160 is a nice add-on
but in this case too much ruggedness was compromised.

The L-4B was an "updated" L-4. The L-4 was designed when lots of folk were
still running "lock-to-talk" AM service. Guess that would explain the lower
Ep now that I think about it. Better to run a cool kilobuck than try to
inflate the tubes/amps capabilities, eg, Ameritron.

The 2K-4 is a nice deck too with a REAL choke filtered supply. Not sure why
Henry took so long to get onboard with the idea of top band.

Most bang for the buck is the SB-220, SB-200, Cliperton-L. They can be
picked up for a song if they have soft tubes.

It's late and my contacts are getting sticky.

Later and God Bless you and the family,

Lane in San Diego
Kilo Mexico Three Germany