[AMPS] hot-switching help for contesters

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] hot-switching help for contesters
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 12:09:51 +0000
SB-220 owners may be interested to know that you don't necessarily have to
take a break from the contest every 3-4 hours to open it up and burnish the
relay contacts when they start to stick from hot-switching.

TRLog has a PTT output (same interface as CW) that closes a programmable
interval before the first CW element is sent.  I had mine set at about 25
MS and went the entire CQWW CW with the amp on the desk where it belongs.
The key seems to be never allowing the VOX on the transceiver to do the
switching -- I used a foot switch whenever I needed hand-sent CW.

CT also has this beginning about version 9.34 or so.  It's a fixed
lead-time of 1/2 a CW dot, and while I haven't done the math, it seems as
if that would be enough at normal mortal CW speeds.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

Loud is good.