[AMPS] YC156

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] YC156
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 11:33:24 -0500

On Thu, 03 Dec 1998 19:04:41 -0700 barrie99@marsweb.com writes:

>Hello all!
>
>Does anyone have any experience or information as to how the Eimac
>YC156
>would play on 6M, especailly at 4 to 4.5 KV?

Not very well unless you want to get creative in the tank circuit. That
tube has very high output C.  There are much better choices for 6M.  IMO
it is pure overkill. If you wanted a bullet-proof 5KW amp then that would
be a different story.

>Not really looking for a great amount of power out, just hoping to
>get
>legal-limit with a quiet blower!

If you want a legal 1500W, an 8877 will work just fine with a low noise
muffin fan. I have converted Dentron DTR-2000L's to 6M and at 1500W and
the muffin fan the tube never gets hot. You can also get away with much
lower Ep (2500V) and save $$ on parts.

If a few less watts is acceptable, say 1300, an SB-220 conversion is the
way to go. The fan is very quiet.

>Would 100 watts of drive result in 1500 watts out?
>
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>TNX, Barrie, W7ALW

73  Carl  KM1H
Amplifier Repairs and 6M Conversions Our Speciality

>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]