[AMPS] Dentron DTR 2000L

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Dentron DTR 2000L
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 12:22:23 -0500

On Sat, 05 Dec 1998 19:35:26 -0800 dan hearn <dhearn@ix.netcom.com>
writes:

>Chris, I owned a DTR200L for several years and made a number of mods
>improve it. Sold it about 6 months ago before moving to Spokane from
>Dallas.
>It has a number of good features. Excellent appearance and sheet metal
>work.
>Ceramic coil forms, hypersil HV xfmr. It desperately needs grid
>current
>metering and a grid overcurrent trip ckt. The fil voltage was over
>spec so
>had to put a res in series w fil. I rearranged the hv grounding to
>allow
>grid current metering. I installed a step start circuit on the
>plate/fil
>xfmr. I am relating this from memory as the new owner has my revised
>ckt and
>notes. I believe I replaced  one of the panel lamps with a toggle sw
>select grid current metering. I changed the value of some of the
>doorknob
>padder caps in the pi net output for 80/160m. Like nearly all ham
>linears,
>the ability to handle 80/160 antennas which are off resonance, is
>limited.
>There is no tuned input, as you know, and it would be nice to have one
>but
>that would be difficult to implement so I never did that. Mine would
>do
>about 1200w out with the low plate voltage the PS supplies. Oh by the
>way,
>the tuning cap on mine had been arc'd by the previous owner. I had a
>surplus
>ceramic vac var cap so put it in place for C1 and used a Helipot 10
>turn
>dial for it. Looked pretty nice and I don't recall having to drill any
>new
>holes in the front panel. The grid trip circuit was the one shown in
>ARRL HB
>and other places. I used a single xstr w a dpdt mini relay arranged
>electrically latch shut and interrupt the PTT line. Good luck w the
>mods. It
>was fun to do, for me. 73, Dan, N5AR

>From your description I have that amp on the bench right now Dan! Its a
small world.

It has now been converted to a 6M monobander and will easily do 1500W
with 70W of drive with the original PS. The vacuum variable was junk by
the time it got here.
I have another one that is completely original that the customer wants
the grid ckt upgrades and I'll also do some tank ckt changes.

73  Carl  KM1H
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]