No subject

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: No subject
From: jtml@lanl.gov (John Lyles)
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 14:59:07 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

I have a few ideas in response to the comments from Peter and Dave (below):

In RF power amplifiers "properly designed" for HF or VHF, the loading
control may have range to match a variety of load Z to the plate of the
tube. Designed so that the output C is centered in it's range with 50 + j0
Ohms on the output.  So, it isn't so important to know if 2000 Ohms is
presented to the tube when 50 Ohms is on the output, as it is to know the Q
and to sweep around and verify that other resonances aren't present in a
way that the amplifier might support feedback and turn into an oscilattor
with parasites. If you don't hit the magic plate impedance at resonance,
then the efficiency may suffer, the amplifier may distort, etc.

I guess that's just my approach, and it has worked. The calculations of
course, must be made for the Pi. And the capacitors measured with a C meter
for verification, along with the value of L. I think that's what you guys
have said also.

I use the network analyzer way, but use it to indicate resonances, and to
indicate the transmission loss through the network. The Hewlett Packards
have a High Z GaAsFET probe which can be calibrated out (sort of) and hung
on the plate of the tube with little effect. It's not cheap, the probe is a
few thousand US dollars I think, in a fancy wooden box. And extremely
static sensitive.
Then drive the output connector with the source  50 Ohm port on the network
analyzer.

Yes, it is not as accurate to use the nework analyzer to display a high
impedance. Use the |Z| meter.

John
K5PRO