[AMPS] Plate Choke

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Plate Choke
From: rakefet@rakefet.com (Vic Rosenthal)
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 08:02:14 -0800
Pete Raymond wrote:

> I have a plate choke that  has 104 turns on what I believe is a
> porcelain form 1"X 3 1/4" .  I shorted the ends and checked it with my
> grid dipper.  I found two nice dips one at 20.9mhz and another at 27.8.
> Although they are both outside the bands are they too close.

I recently went through a big 'fix-the-choke' project.  I found that the
resonant points with the choke installed in the amplifier were significantly
different than they were with the choke on the bench.  I ultimately bought an
Ameritron AL80B choke for my single 3-500z amplifier, and it has worked fine on
all bands 160-10, including WARC.  I did not have much luck with various
homemade chokes -- once I got it big enough for 160, I kept having problems on
one of the higher bands.

73,
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA