[AMPS] Fw: Final morse transmission

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Fw: Final morse transmission
From: tacookfam@exotrope.net (tacook)
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 23:06:54 -0500
It might be of interest to read the article starting on page 71 of the Jan.
23, '99 issue of "THE ECONOMIST" entitled "... --- ... .-. .. .--.
(SOS,RIP)" and the further demise of the commercial use of CW.  The article
is not a put-down, but a short treatise on a history of digital
communications.  Indeed, CW gets credit for its longevity; starting in the
mid-1800s. Yes, Morse is being phased out in favor of "more modern"
systems; GMDSS (read - total trust in satellites) is discussed as it
becomes compulsory worldwide on Feb 1 "...on all ships exceeding 300 tons,
carry 12 or more passengers, or travel in international waters." For most
cases, the progress in modern communications probably is better.  There is,
however, one item that all the modern systems cannot claim - simplicity.

Tom - WA2BPE

To: <amps@contesting.com>

To: <amps@contesting.com>