[AMPS] TX Ant gain vs. RX Ant gain (was: Dollars per dB)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] TX Ant gain vs. RX Ant gain (was: Dollars per dB)
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 10:52:53 -0000
Carl says

        >Agreed. That is why I often find a 1dB NF preamp very usefull on
15-10M.

With a 4 ele yagi at 68 feet, 2.2dB of cable loss ( measured) and an 8dB NF
receiver, I've never yet not managed to measure a minimum 4dB increase in
noise in switching from a 50 ohm source to the antenna on 10m. That's in a
rural QTH, beaming in the quietest direction late on a winter's night with
the bands closed above 10MHz. So 1 dB NF wouldn't help me. Some Collins
studies years ago suggested that 8dB was all the NF needed at HF, even on
short whips.

But returning to the thread...........when you have a good antenna, then you
want a good amplifier. I claim I cause less QRM by calling once than by
calling half a dozen times.

Even then, you can get 6dB by good operating as opposed to bad!

73

Peter G3RZP