[AMPS] E F Johnson Roller

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] E F Johnson Roller
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 09:53:03 -0000
>>ALWAYS SHORT OUT UNUSED TURNS OF A
>>TANK COIL, whether a roller or switched circuit.

>?  Amen.  And the short should contain minimal R.

I've had problems with a transmatch by doing that. When most of the inductor
is in use, and there's only a few shorted turns, the currents in them can
cause problems - even at 150 watts. Similarly, I've had problems with not
shorting, because of resonance of the unused portion of coil with stray C to
the operating frequency. If you short, then as Rich says, it should be a
minimal resistance short, but be prepared to unshort if using most of the
coil. PA's are much more forgiving than transmatches in this respect,
because the amount of coil is more or less fixed by the frequency of
operation, rather than by the variable load impedance that a transmatch
sees.

73

Peter G3RZP