[AMPS] Guesstimating RF Component Specs

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Guesstimating RF Component Specs
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 12:49:32 -0600
>Do you have any handy rules of thumb to estimate RF capabilities of
>components? For instance, disk ceramic capacitors, various mica types,
>trimmer caps, etc. Can you judge by their size how much RF current they can
>take? Are there other components for which you have favorite rules of thumb
>about voltage/current/frequency limits -- chokes, ferrite cores, switches,
>relays, etc?

Many caps have voltage ratings printed on them or encoded somehow.  With
a little figuring, you can determine how much RF voltage you are going to
have in a particular part of your circuit and then you can see if the
parts fall in line.

Wether they are leaky or not and still work like they should is another
issue.  I think micas and other disc caps are OK, but old electrolytics
can go bad.

For HV components, do as AG6K recommends and hi-pot test them.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden