[AMPS] RE: [TowerTalk] hdbx or hbx? Or neither? (long, sorry)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] RE: [TowerTalk] hdbx or hbx? Or neither? (long, sorry)
From: W8IK@ibm.net (Joe Subich, W8IK/4)
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 19:16:52 -0500

Louis,

> My question (finally) is whether Rohn HBX, Rohn HDBX, or something else
> would be the tower to do the job? I know neither tower is recommended
> for boom lengths greater than 10' (the T-6 is 12' and the T-8 is 18'),
> but I've read of people putting much more on those towers with no
> problems. Besides, both antennas are within wind load limits (T-6
> is 7', T-8 is 8') of either antenna, at least if I believe specs I've
> read on the web.

I have had Rohn BX series towers for TV use only (well, with a VHF antenna
and wire dipole on the side mount) and even in Ohio, they pretty well
shook apart in three or four years (12' boom "deep fringe" TV antenna).

> So, can I put my 18' boom/8' wind load T8 on 50' of HBX? Or do I have to
> use HDBX? Or am I limited to a 12' boom/7' wind load T6? Or should I put
> up anything near that size on ANY 50' free standing tower?

If I were doing it, I would e-mail K7LXC (mailto:sales@championradio.com or
mailto:UpTheTYower@AOL.COM) for the information package on the Triton
(Trylon) freestanding towers.  Also see http://www.championradio.com and
click on  "towers" for some basic cost information.  The Triton is much
more sturdy than the Rohn BX (see the pictures of KA9FOX's installation at
http://www.qth.com/ka9fox/tower) and designed for the larger loads.

Since you are in an 80 MPH wind zone, a 56' T-400 will easily handle your
T-8 (It's rated for 12 ft^2 at up to 80 feet). That should give you a bit
of extra capacity for the mast and a VHF antenna above the Tennadyne if
you need it.

The Trylon web dite is: http://www.trylon.com with information on the Titan
free standing towers at: http://www.trylon.com/titnfree.html.

73,