[AMPS] Re: paralleling power diodes

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: paralleling power diodes
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 15:00:49 -0500

On Sun, 31 Jan 1999 11:14:26 -0600 "Roy Koeppe" <royanjoy@ncn.net>
writes:

>Hi and yes,
>
>Equalizing resistors are in order. Use a fractional-ohm resistor in
>series
>with each diode to equalize forward resistance. Also, if you have
>plenty to
>choose from, try measuring forward drop under load (a voltmeter across
>each
>one of a test series string with say 0.1 A flowing thru the string).
>Then
>pick out matched groups.
>
>73,   K6XK

With 1N5408 3A 1KV diodes around .20 ea or .39 for the 1200V 1N5409  (
Qty 1-99 at Mouser) why on earth use 500ma antiques?

Just the time involved to play/match with the old ones negates their
value if anyone values his time. To top it off those antiques have
nowhere the surge current ratings of modern devices.
I had similar penny pinching leanings many years ago and finally got the
bright idea to take a lot of that stuff to the dump....no regrets.

73  Carl   KM1H