[AMPS] (and CW Relevance)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] (and CW Relevance)
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 15:25:10 -0000
Andy says:
>I just
>don't think it is appropriate to screen prospective hams on their code
abilities
>as we enter the 21st century-IMHO by doing so we lose credibility with
>prospective hams who then follow pursuits they view as more in keeping with
the
>times

I'm not sure that removing the code requirement will make much difference to
the number of people becoming hams: having said that, I was one of the
people on the RSGB Council who argued strongly for a reduction in code speed
as an interim measure until the WRC happens at which Article S.25 of the
Radio Regulations is discussed.(S.25 are the regulations for the Amateur and
Amateur Satellite Services) I am convinced that at that WRC, the Morse
requirement will be dropped internationally - despite what IARU are looking
for. (They've suggested that a 'Mandatory Recommendation' keeps Morse.)Then
it will be up to individual administrations to decide if they want to keep
it - even if there is a 'Mandatory Recommendation'. The probability is that
the 43 countries of CEPT will drop it as a requirement at that stage. But
the WRC which has S.25 on the agenda is going to be in 2003, and because of
the amount of things to be covered, the amateur stuff could get pushed off
the end of the agenda, to 2005 or beyond. That could have advantages in
making it harder for the LEO guys to go for our 144 and 432MHz bands.

73

Peter G3RZP