[AMPS] morse code on ships

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] morse code on ships
From: G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 13:53:19 +0000
Steve Thompson wrote:

>I can't see morse dying out in amateur use, its just too valuable.

It is also something that people want to use, simply because they enjoy
using it. In *amateur* radio - done for the love of it - we don't have
to use the "best" mode or the "most efficient". Simply enjoying using
the skill is all the justification it needs. As 'RZP said, maybe it is
an art form...

>On
>the other hand, I can't remember an argument in favour of morse
>*testing* which amounted to more than 'I did it, so everyone else
>should'.

The British First Class (CW) Operators Club has just gone on record as
opposing compulsory Morse testing. FOC still want to keep an *optional*
Morse test, as part of a modular exam structure, but they recognise
that forcing people to do it has actually created more Morse-haters than
Morse-lovers.

>In today's environment, a much better understanding of EMC will
>be much more powerful when arguing to retain our priveledges.

Too right!

                           http://www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk/g3sek