[AMPS] Cantenna Dummy loads

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Cantenna Dummy loads
From: johnf@futurenet.co.za (John Fielding)
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 17:02:37 +0200
Water cooled dummy loads are commonly used in the broadcast transmitter
scene.  I once visited Marconi in Chelmsford to do some acceptance
tests on a 100kW transmitter.  In each bay where the transmitters were
assembled there was a power meter on the wall.  Well, it didn't look
like a power meter at first sight.  It consisted of a small metal
enclosure with pipes running in from the bottom and out of the top.  It
measured about 1ft high and 6" wide.  It had a thermometer in the inlet
and outlet pipes and a glass tube with a steel ball bearing which got
pushed up the graduated scale by the water flow.  A large matrix chart
was pasted on the wall next to it.

To measure the power you first turned on the water by the stop-cocks
until the steel ball bearing sat about half-way up the tube, turned on
the transmitter and then read off the temperature difference between
the inlet and outlet thermometer.  I was told that 10% accuracy was
easily achieved.

John    ZS5JF
----------
To: <amps@contesting.com>
> Date: 03 February 1999 06:50
>

> >  The Cantenna dummy loads just can't take 1.5 Kw for
> >very long.
>
> Indeed.  The resistor used typ. looks like an approx. 100w unit.
> Apparently the name "dummy load" refers to those who expect to be
able to
> put 1.5kW of NØN (AØ, keydown) through it
>
> > I was wondering if anyone has tried to
> >cool one of these. Either by running water thru the
> >can in a coil of copper tubing or maybe even having
> >the water replace the oil and run it thru the can.
>
> Direct contact of the surface of the resistor with water (only during

> testing)  might work, Bill.  Water is the undoubtedly one of the best

> liquid coolants.  //  I bought a Bird Model 8730 10kW continuous
rated
> 50-ohm termination (s/n 0295) that hooks up to a garden hose.  The
8730
> is surprizingly compact compared to conventional 10kW terminations.
Fast