[AMPS] Cathode Impedance

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Cathode Impedance
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 00:16:21 -0500

On Thu, 04 Feb 1999 00:33:29 +0000 w7iuv@axtek.com (Larry Molitor)
writes:

> [...]
>recall
>the title and recently a search failed to find said book in my
>library. No
>matter, I made copies of this chart and keep one in my desk at work,
>one in
>my shack file, and one posted next to the TP dispenser in the head.
>
>Those of you who are clever enough to keep your email software set to
>display a fixed font may actually see this in table format.
>

>TUBE           Ep              Ip              Cathode ohms
>
>811A           1250            175             320
>               1700            160             320
>
>572B/T160L     2400            250             215
>
>813            2000            200             270
>               2500            200             270
>
>3-400Z/8163    2000            400             120
>               2500            400             120
>               3000            333             120
>
>3-500Z         2000            400             115
>               2500            400             115
>               3000            370             115
>
>3-1000Z        2500            800             65
>               3000            670             65
>               3500            750             65
>
>3CX1000A7      2500            875             41
>               3000            800             42
>
>4-125A         2000            105             340
>               2500            110             340
>               3000            115             340
>
>4-400A         2000            265             160
>               2500            270             150
>               3000            330             140
>
>4-1000A        3000            700             104
>               4000            675             106
>               5000            540             110
>

>Subject to any typos I may have made, this is an abbreviated version
>of the
>chart I copied many years ago.
>
>Obviously the tetrodes are Triode-Connected-Grounded-Grid. The only
>claim I
>can make is that the data has been spot on for all the tubes I've
>tried.
>It's so close that I no longer put adjustments on the components in
>the
>cathode pi-net.
>
>By the way, leave the damn tube in the socket when you measure the
>network
>match. Why tack in a cap to synthesize the tube capacitance when you
>have
>the real thing. Besides, why put more wear on the socket contacts. I
>always
>have the whole thing together including the entire anode compartment
>before
>doing the cathode network.
>
>Using this method, I can usually turn on the amp and not see the SWR
>meter
>on the exciter even wiggle at full power out. While other methods may
>have
>some theoretical advantage, they have no practical merit in my
>not-so-humble-opinion.
>
>I hope someone gets a little use out of this, it took me a long time

Thanks for all the typing Larry. I believe that info came from a CQ
article by Bill Orr back in the mid 60's. Some other charts are in
various versions of the ARRL SSB manual but Orr by far often puts out
more info in one article than the ARRL does in a manual.

I stay out of these input network debates since I have always followed
the same approach as you with nary a problem. Seldom have I seen so many
complicate such a seemingly simple issue.

BTW, Omega Electronics sells a complete input network that is relay
switched. It is available pre-wired for several popular tubes or a
"universal" version is available. A real no brainer for those without
gobs of  test equipment or the time to reinvent the wheel.

73  Carl  KM1H

>73,
>
>Larry - W7IUV
>w7iuv@axtek.com
>http://www.axtek.com/w7iuv
>

>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]