[AMPS] HV ??

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] HV ??
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 03:15:48 -0500

On Fri, 05 Feb 1999 03:53:49 +0000 Paul Hellenberg K4JA
<w9ja@contesting.com> writes:

>Hello All
>
>I am in the process of designing my own PC boards for a HV cap
>bank and diode strings.

Sounds like fun

>I do not know what is required for spacing between conductors
>(on a surface, not through air) for high voltage circuits.
>
>I somehow remember something like 0.1" per 1000V, but don't know
>if that is correct.
>
>What spacing rule should I use between conductors?

With basic material such as dry phenolic you can use about 1/2" per KV
for long term safety. I'm sure the nit pickers will have their say but
typical olden style HV supplies in industrial applications worked quite
well at those spacings and survived pollutants such as mice, etc but
contest coffee probably would not survive.

73  Carl  KM1H

.

. >

>73 Paul
>

>K4JA   ex W9JA, KS9K
>Paul J Hellenberg
>414  554 7300-125
>Fax  414 554 8217
>Home 414 554 9170
>

>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]