[AMPS] TL 922 reviews ?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] TL 922 reviews ?
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 00:26:39 -0800

>I have been thinking about buying a new amplifier for the shack.  I have
>been looking at several amplifiers which use the 3-500s, and finding out
>as much as possible about them ie reading reveiws etc.
>
>Quite a number of my local friends suggested I looked at the tl 922 and I
>have been trying to get any reviews on the amplifier but no luck.  Some
>time ago I did notice 2 reviews in the back issues of QST, and followed
>the instructions on the ARRL web page to get copies sent to me but as yet
>nothing has arrived here.
>
>I was wandering would anyone have a copy of these articles I could read,
>the isssues in question are
>Sept 1980 and July 1992.

As I recall, Rus Healy et al's July-1992 review stated that the TL-922
design is somewhat dated.  Surely this is the case.  However, I believe
the 922 is potentially a trouble-free, competent amplifier --  provided a
few circuit improvements are made.   There is an article on my Web site
about these improvements.

>Also any users of 922s I would really appreciate any reports also.  I do
>operate on 12m and 17m a lot is there any problems tuning here.

The input swr is c. 2.5:1 on 12m and 17m unless the tuned inputs for 10m
and 15m are mistuned.   However, by using an antenna tuner, one can make
do.

-  later,  Glenn

Rich...