[AMPS] 3-500Z chimneys

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 3-500Z chimneys
From: RFpower@radiodan.com (Radiodan W7RF)
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 18:06:35 -0800
I've noticed that one reason for melting solder on the filament pins in
3-500 tube has been the corrosion of pins and or sockets making a very small
narrow contact point where all the filament current must be drawn through.
This heats up the contact to a solder meting point.
This also accounts for why sometimes one tube fails to light up at turn on.

Where dust and bad air are prevalent, combined with age is where you will
see this more often.

Solutions include removing the tubes and cleaning both tube pins and
sockets. Rebending the socket contacts to increase tension on the tube pins
when inserted can help when socket contacts have spread a bit.
If this fails, new sockets are in order.
When cleaning pins/sockets, don't forget to reflow solder on the tube pins
if needed.

73, Dan Magro W7RF, (President WARC 1999, member SCDXC, SCCC)
Manufacturers Rep & Distributor for HENRY Amplifiers.
www.radiodan.com <http://www.radiodan.com> ??? RFpower@radiodan.com
<mailto:RFpower@radiodan.com> A trip to our web site is worth the click!