[AMPS] Nichicon Caps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Nichicon Caps
From: warrenw@pentek.com (Warren J. Walsh)
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 07:17:21 -0500
At 09:15 PM 3/2/99 -0800, W6NQ wrote:

>In answer to question as to capacitors used in PS by Commander,
>they use the LLK2W271MHSB, a 270 uf, 450V, 105 degC snap in.
>If Alltronics has the LLK2W471MHSB, then it is a real good buy.
>(Factory price in 1000 pc lot is about $3.50.)
>However, if it is the 85 deg C version, I wouldn't use them.
>73,   Merit  W6NQ           http://www.rfparts.com

The caps they are selling are: Nichicon LGQ2W471MHSC.  According to the
Nichicon web site these are their High Reliability Type caps.  I have a PDF
format data sheet for these parts. As for the question of will they work in
a HV supply string. I recently lost several caps in my SB-220 (27 yrs old)
and did not have an extra $115.00 available to purchase the drop in
replacement part that Harbach sells, so I bought 10 for $22.50.  I had
already done the AG6K mods to the amp, so I just replaced the cap bank with
8 of these caps.  They are about half the length of the old caps, but the
same diameter, data shows them at 1.375"D x 2.00"L.  Last night I finished
the installation, and fired up the amp, NO SMOKE.  Quick testing showed 1
KW out on 40M and 1 KW out on 10M, now it's on to removing the input
circuits and converting it to 6M.

Anyone needing more info, please just ask.

73
Warren - K2BM
Warren J. Walsh (warrenw@pentek.com) Pentek, Inc.
Design Engineer                      One Park Way
Phone: (201) 818-5900 x 251          Upper Saddle River, N.J.
Fax:   (201) 818-5941                http://www.pentek.com/