[AMPS] more poor mans chimneys and glassware

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] more poor mans chimneys and glassware
From: nospam4me@juno.com (Skip S Isaham)
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 00:35:51 EST

Hello again,

>       (friend is actually Jim, WF6R in Concord, CA)
>Hello there, A good friend (wf6f) used cut cranberry juice jars for
>4-400 chimneys with great success. I've also done the same with glass
>apple juice jars and a cutter to remove the ends.  Just keep enough air
moving.
>73's
>skipp

:And Carl added...
:I tried that with 4-400's  on 6M and 4-1000's on HF 30 yrs ago. Wound up
with crazed :and brittle glass. Was also pushing the tubes to the limits!
Soft bottle glass and :lantern glass does not have the additive compound
:to efficiently pass RF. However when run conservatively I understand
they can work. :OTOH, why run chimneys on a 4-400?  Johnson sockets, some
metal trimming of :the tube base and a SB-220 style fan will work for
many applications.
:73  Carl  KM1H

Hi Carl (and others),

I realize a lot of this sounds silly, but I brought the topic of Glass
Melting Temps up with the professional Glass Blower where I work.  This
was a short time ago when I approached him about repairing vacuum
variables and chimney repairs.

To sum up his information, he told me not to get too excited about the
different glass melting temps and that mixed glass and quartz glass was
better, but not by a great deal. I'll have to ask him more about the
pyrex types of glass in the next day or so.

I take this to mean that once your past a certain quality of glass, your
pretty much in a safe zone for most of the normal applications. The Apple
Juice Jars I mentioned are real thick.

I much prefer the SB-220 method.   If any of you have specific questions
for my friend, I'll be happy to ask with a short delay time. He's a
retired professional glass blower hired back when we couldn't find anyone
else that had the skills.

He has a very nice working shop... I'm still looking for a dead vacuum
variable to practice on...

73's
skipp

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]