[AMPS] Re: Congratulations!

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Congratulations!
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 19:04:21 -1000

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your note;  and I am going very slow.  Here
is status until tomorrow:

Well,  after several hours of effort,  all is set-up,  connected,
and apparently operating correctly,  hooray!!

However,  I am proceeding veeery sloooowly,  hi.

So far have used only the SS amp on the air.  Used it,
with about 400 watts out on the Hawaii 40 meter Afternoon
Net today.  It seems to provide about 10 dB gain.
At last,   got my nerve up high enough,  after
taking the power plug apart again just to be sure,  to
plug the 8K in,  and turn on the circuit breaker out
in the garage.  That step went well.  Turned the Yaesu
down to 1 watt out put.  This yielded about 10 or so
watts out from the solid state amp into my 40 meter dipole.
So,  pushed the bright  red  button on the Controller unit
after turning on the big switch on the 8K pedestal and
seeing the Green light illuminate.

Immediately heard a low pitched sound;  went into the next
room;  sure enough,  the 8K pedestal unit had sprung to
life,  and blower air was coming out the cabinet top!

Went back into the radio room,  and keyed up the rig,
CW,  SS amp only.  All is well.  Noted the 8K plate voltage,
with the CW button lit was about 4000.  Clicked up the
8K operate switch,  and keyed the rig.  Of course,  was
nowhere near tuned up properly,  though I did set the
main pots to the 40 meter position given by Paul in the cheat
sheet he sent along.  Well,  sure enough,  with 1 watt
from the Yaesu,  about 10 watts from the SS amp driving
the 8K,  about 80 or 90 watts  came out from the 8K.

So everything at least seems to "work".  That is where I
have gotten.

After dinner,  or more probably tomorrow,  I will press on
in this adventure!!

73,  Jim,  KH7M

PS.  I won't try to send anymore photos to the reflectors,  just
does not work;  and,  thanks  Dan,  for bailing me out of that
problem.  Noticed in your re-posting that I had made some
bad spelling mistakes as well;  too big a hurry,  hi.