[AMPS] CW amplifier progress (well, daydream progress) -- lon g

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] CW amplifier progress (well, daydream progress) -- lon g
From: grimm@lynchburg.net (Kenneth D. Grimm, K4XL)
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 07:56:10 -0500
> >Do you really need instant on?
> >
> ?  No one needs instant on if they put an IR motion detector in the radio
> room which switches on the cathode-heaters at the first sign of life.

I really wish you technical weenies would stop making such sweeping
judgments!  Lots of folks need instant on!  I need instant on!  I NEED
INSTANT ON!!!  OK?
I'm a DXer for Pete's sake!!!  Slow warm up receivers are OK.  Slow warm
up exciters are OK.  But when it comes to amplifiers, DXers need instant
on.  Most DXers spend about 99 percent or more of their time listening.
When they finally hear what they are looking for, it is imperative that
they call it NOW!!!  Otherwise, you may miss the contact.  This has
always been true.  Today, with the DX spotting packet and internet
networks, to quote a friend of mine, "it is most true."  :0)
Ken K4XL
grimm@lynchburg.net
BoatAnchor Manual Archive - http://bama.sbc.edu or
ftp://bama.sbc.edu/boatanchor