[AMPS] Instant ON..

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Instant ON..
From: sm2cew@telia.com (Peter Sundberg)
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 18:48:02 +0100

>>              > I NEED INSTANT ON!!!  OK?

I have been a DX-er for many years and this instant on thing is more a
confidence thing than a must as I see it. How many pileups haven't we spend
10 - 60 minutes in to get through... ? It is just the fact that for full
confidence the full megawatt must be in line,  heaven forbid we don't get a
reply at once.
Real life shows that the 3 minutes in most cases (and I mean most cases..
yes I know, there are times..) is not a problem. However, should that
elusive DX be the difference between life or death on Honor Roll, then I
agree that instant on is the way to go.

I can assure you guys, the 3 minute limit on some amps can be shortened if
one is willing to sacrifice a bit of tube life span, but for working a
juicy DX that is not a problem.  8877's are only $195 aren't they.

In my 2 mtr EME amp chain I have a 4CX250B as a driver and it is normally
given about 30 seconds to warm up before tuneup, have not changed a tube in
more than 10 years. Yes, the final is instant on.

My point is that very few actually need instant on, they only think they do.

BTW, my HF amp, QBL5-3500, IS instant on.. to be on the safe side..

SM2CEW, Peter
http://home.interact.se~w100088/sm2cew.htm