[AMPS] Cathode Impedance Measurements

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Cathode Impedance Measurements
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 09:21:46 -0500

On Thu, 25 Mar 99 11:19:55 -0600 Jon Ogden <jono@enteract.com> writes:

>OK, I had promised to report back on this subject, so here goes:
>
>Back a month or two ago, I said that I was going to simulate the
>impedance of my 4-1K's cathode by using two 220 Ohm resistors from
>each
>cathode pin to ground and by leaving the tube in socket (driving
>impedance is 110 Ohms).  I could then use my MFJ-259 to tune my input
>
>pi-networks.
>
>Several people here said they didn't think that would work and that
>you
>couldn't simulate the complex impedance of a tube with a couple of
>resistors.
>
>Well, I have to tell these experts and the rest of us that they were
>not
>correct.  The simulation worked VERY well.

That is very good info Jon. It also is very timely since I just bought a
MFJ-259B and havent even opened the box yet.

 After designing the input

>circuits this way, and after using the amp for a while, I am pleased
>report that simulating the input impedance of a tube using a couple of
>
>resistors DOES INDEED WORK!
>
>My SWR on all bands with the exception of 10M is nearly 1:1 in at
>least
>some portion of the band.  On 10M, the SWR is about 1.3 or 1.4:1,
>which
>is still fine (it's probably off because the inductance in the leads
>of
>the resistors is probably significant at 28 MHz).  20M might be 1.2:1
>or
>so.  On 40M and 15M, the SWR is absolutely flat and on 80M it is very
>
>good as well (perfect in some spots, but the tuning bandwidth is
>considerably less than the higher bands).
>
>So folks, it does work.  Don't let the so called experts fool you.
>Logic
>and common sense told me it would and it does.

I vaguely remember those discussions but kept out of them due to a lack
of experience.  I also swore that I would never buy anything from MFJ
again but all the good comments about the 259 forced my capitulation!

73  Carl  KM1H

>And by the way: all my caps are fixed.  The only thing I can tune are
>my
>inductors.
>
>73,
>
>Jon
>KE9NA

>Jon Ogden
>
>jono@enteract.com
>www.qsl.net/ke9na

>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]