[AMPS] Amp opinion/infomation requested ASAP!!

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Amp opinion/infomation requested ASAP!!
From: K0qz@primenet.com (Michael J. Baker)
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 22:16:36 -0700
Hello to all on the reflector;
        I have the opportunity to obtain the following amps. I have indicated
what I know (if anything) about each amp and perhaps the price that it
might be had for.  What I want to know is there anything I should be
aware/look for in each amp as a possible problem area and what is YOUR
opinion of each amp as described/priced, and which ones will work the
WARC bands (if any).  I will use your input and my own bargining to
determine which of them I might purchase as soon as this week, so please
reply ASAP.
        Yes, I know everyone has a different opinion about a lot of things, but
so far, the info I have seen here has been (mostly) thoughtfull,
insightfull, honest, and supported by experiences, talent, and
education.  With that said, let me introduce my choices and prices...

        Dentron MLA-2500  VERY clean. Very low hours of use and most likely
hasn't been on the air for several years.  Sitting on shelf.  Know who
owned it and he took exceptional care with his gear.  Been QRT from the
low bands for several years.  I am aware of the problem of getting the
original tubes but it is cheep and I have conversion info to the
Svetlana tubes available when these die.  Price between $300 to $400

        Alpha 76PA  Looks pretty good.  Has marking on tune and load with
colored tape that coresponds to the colored dot for each band for rapid
tune up.  Unknow condition or owner.  I can open it up for inspection of
the various switches and parts and look/smell for anything obvious.
Does this amp have any history of problems?  What is tube compliment and
quantity?  Is it QSK?  Will it do the WARC bands as is?
Price somewhere between $699 and $999 best guess.

        AL-80A  Yep, I know about the amp generaly. 3-500Z single and it does
the WARC bands, BUT, don't know the difference between the A and B
models.  Dont know if its QSK.  Any bad habbits/tendancies?  Havent
looked inside this one to check it out either but I can.  Price $699

        At the moment, my choices would probably go in this order...

        MLA-2500  Cheep, easy to work on, new upgrade tube/tubes available
when/if these die.  QSK can be added (per Rich Measures) but no warc
coverage indicated on panel/ unknown performance on thoes bands.

        Alpha 76PA  Cause its an ALPHA.  Know to be solid by reputation as a
builder.  Thank you Dick.  Unknown performance history/problems with
this perticular model and unknown performance on WARC bands. If it could
be had for the lower of the price range, Might be the best bet in the
long run, but don't know for sure...

        AL-80A  I sorta like the ole 3-500Z, just too bad its only a one JUG
but it is the newer of the 3 and does a kw out on CW (my primary
interest) and instant on is a bonus.  (NO IT AIN'T A NECESSITY CAUSE
WHEN I AM IN THE SHACK, ALL MY TOYS ARE ON JUST IN CASE.)  Any history
of problems with the little guy?

        Ok folks, like I said, give me OPINIONS, and extend your welth of
knowledge to a guy who hasen't had an amp in 10 years. (I do MISS my
Drake L7)

        Thanks in advance for the bandwidth...
        Looking foward to your enlightenment....
                Best 73,  Mike Baker  KØQZ/7
                          k0qz@primenet.com