[AMPS] PA loading and tube life

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] PA loading and tube life
From: g.jones@bom.gov.au (Graham Jones)
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 10:36:37 +1000
Gents,

Here is a re-send of my last post with a corrected and more relevant
subject heading. Apologies for the wasted cyberspace.

73 Graham  VK3BKG,

G'day Carl,

 > confusing. On top of that the 0-100 panel labeling is one way on some
 > amps and the opposite on others.
 >
 > I prefer to tune for absolute max on the Bird and then increase loading
(
 > Less C-2) until power drops about 5%. This will be the point of best
IMD.
 > Any reduction in power should then be done at the exciter.  A MLA with
 > perfect tubes is capable of over 1500W out @ 100W drive but that is
 > really pushing them.
 >
 > 73  Carl  KM1H

        I've been curious about a related subject for a while. I believe I more
or
 less understand the mechanism by which heavy plate loading  reduces IMD
 (i.e. by limiting negative peak anode voltage excursions going into the
 non-linear region). But how does it increase tube life? The Eimac data
 sheet for the 4CX250B states in regard to VHF operation:  "Such operation
 should be conducted with heavy plate loading, minimum bias, and the lowest
 driving power consistent with satisfactory performance. It is often
 preferable to operate at a sacrifice in efficiency to obtain increased
tube
 life."

        To Carl and other knowledgable persons on the reflector - could you
please
 explain how heavy plate loading and reduced efficiency can increase tube
 life.

 I apologise if this subject has been covered previously on the reflector.

 Thanks in advance.

 73 Graham VK3BKG