[AMPS] Cathode Impedance Measurements

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Cathode Impedance Measurements
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 99 16:33:45 -0600
>>Because it can be VERY inconvenient to have to fire up the amp each time
>>you are trying different capacitor values and finding out you have the
>>wrong one!
>
>?  Use compression trimmers, a 5.5uH Collins Radio Co.  208T roller coil
>($10 from Fair Radio Sales), and you can not have the wrong one.  When
>the swr is delightsome, stop, measure the values, and substitute fixed
>ones.

This is a fine idea, provided one has an LC meter that can accurately read the
values.  Some of us don't have the luxury of a full lab worth of equipment and
have to be able to practically make do with whatever we can.  Now some might
criticize those of us who don't have a full complement and say that we
shouldn't be doing PA projects w/o them but that's the way life is.

IMHO, a GDO isn't accurate enough to properly calculate the values of L's and
C' when doing input networks.

>>Simulations are done in companies all across the world every day.  They
>>tell us a lot about real world conditions w/o the pain of experiencing
>>those conditions.  So why not use it?  You can play safely in the amp
>>compartment in a passive manner - w/o all the pesky voltages being turned
>>on!
>>
>?  The high V is usually on the top side of the chassis.

True.  Although some folks might have the hookups for their filament
transformer on the underside.  That could expose one to either 110 or 240 V.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden