[AMPS] news from high power tube RF sources

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] news from high power tube RF sources
From: jtml@lanl.gov (John Lyles)
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 08:04:16 -0500 (EST)
Amp builders and curious hams:

I am at New York all week at the IEEE Int. Particle Accelerator Conference.
Svetlana, CPI/Eimac and Thomson all have booths. Spent some time chatting
with Svet, about lack of good 3-500Z and 4-400's made in the US of A
anymore. They hope to have a solution forthcoming. Their 500Z prototype had
wrong filament current in the first version, made SB220 choke hot during
test. Svet has some cool magnetrons coming out at 915 MHz, 200 W, 600 Watt,
water cooled, etc.

Eimac had nothing new to say, were showing photos of the 500KW and 2500 KW
tetrodes and a lot of IOT and klystrons (1 MW CW being built for us at 700
MHz I believe). The Salt Lake City tube delemma is not over yet, but they
are shipping some planar triodes now from San Carlos.

Thomson has the big Diacrode dummy model in their booth, the size of a
large coffee pot. Handles, yes. The test results from the past week are 4.2
MW peak, at low duty factor, 200 MHz in a cavity. Expected to work about 1
MW CW out of this big bottle for fusion ICRH apps. There is gathering
interest in this one, we bought the first item and are designing an
amplifier for it, for use in drift tube linac high power RF drivers. Lots
of proton accelerators need this sort of driver in their injectors.

Yes big stuff. Svet had some 300 triodes in a box to show me. Beautiful,
replicas of Western Electric bottles.

The folks from Rutherford Laboratory in Chilton, UK, gave a paper on their
filament power  regulator for TH116 triodes, and other big tubes. Lifetimes
went from about 5000 to 15000 or so hours.

Will be at the National Association of Broadcasters Conv. in mid April, in
Vegas. The Russian engineers will be at the Svet booth there, to talk about
GLASS tubes for RF.. I have a photograph of a 1931 RCA 851 1 kW triode that
they will see and lust over.

Gotta go now, paper on high power CW amplifiers for cyclotrons from the
Swiss in a half hour.

73
John
K5PRO