[AMPS] Want to build my Amps, instead of buying them.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Want to build my Amps, instead of buying them.
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 10:52:29 -0500

On Fri, 02 Apr 1999 20:02:25 -0600 Bryn Joynes <bjoynes@edge.net> writes:

>Hi,
>
>I'm seriously thinking of building my own amps, but I need some
>advice
>from more experienced people.
>

>I like to work VHF/UHF and would like to build amps that operate on
>6m
>2m and 70cm.  I would like, but does not have to be, a 1000w output
>with
>about 25w input.  I would like a similar designs among the amps, this
>way I could swap parts and also buy in quantity.  Also it might mean
>only building one power supply initially until more funds become
>available.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions for a 'family' of amps that could
>come
>close to what I'm looking for?

A single 3CX800A7 or 3CPX800A7 will do that on all those bands. Check out
the ARRL Handbook and obtain the Henry manuals for their 3CX800 series.

 The power output is not overly
>important, and could be reduced to 400w, it is the 'family' approach
>I'm
>looking for.
>
>I'm sure there are a few other questions I should be asking, I would
>be
>very happy if you point these out.

I would advise against tetrodes. The 3CX800 is easy to get going,
requires a simple 2200VDC PS and is a very IMD clean tube. Medical amp
pulls are available.

GL   Carl  KM1H

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]