[AMPS] RF BURNS

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] RF BURNS
From: gdaught6@leland.Stanford.EDU (George T. Daughters)
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 10:22:09 +0008

Brian wrote...

> On another topic. Do you guys know anyone who has been severely injured as a
> result of high voltage? Working on Amps can be very dangerous. I know a guy
> who got hit with 50,000 volts and LIVED, although his vocabulary and memory
> is now severely limited as a result.

I'm guessing you mean high voltage DC.  I do know a guy who worked
for the local power company and got bit... no make that half-eaten...
by HV 60 Hz AC.  He was touching the truck that had the
cherry-picker basket up, and one guy swung the bucket into a HV line
before grounds were attached, and before the lines were turned off.
My friend spent a long time in the hospital, and he now has one arm
and one leg, instead of the normal complement.  His mental faculties
are fine, though.

I guess this story should be on the antennas and towers reflectors,
as a reminder that those warnings on ladders and antennas should be
heeded.  There are lots of HV sources out there, waiting
patiently, to kill you!

73,

George T. Daughters, K6GT