[AMPS] ICE Filter Update

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] ICE Filter Update
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 99 09:59:28 -0500
Well, I promised to get back to folks with an update on my ICE 6M and 2M
bandpass filters.  OK, it's not directly amplifier related, but they go
after my VHF bricks!

On Friday I received 2 replacement 2M filters for the original 2 that
failed.  One passed the smoke test and is still working.  The other
failed.  My local dealer told me to bring the failed unit by them and he
would exchange it.  So yesterday I got another 2M unit.  Put it to the
smoke test.  Was working good for a bit.  Then on about the third or 4th
keydown test, it failed as well (the test is to keydown at full power
(130 W) for about a minute).  So that makes 5 filters I have tried.  Four
of them have failed!

My dealer said that ICE has had a very difficult time getting good
quality mica capacitors lately.  It seems like the market is being eaten
up by the computer manufacturers or something like that.  So I am
assuming that this quality issue is a temporary problem and will get
resolved as soon as they find a reliable capacitor vendor.

I am still awaiting the return of my 6M unit and I will take the failed
2M unit back to my dealer today.

73,

Jon
KE9NA