[AMPS] Plate transformer, chimneys

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Plate transformer, chimneys
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 09:44:04 +0100
>.....  For intermittent service such as SSB/CW the
>doubler can actually be more efficient since it uses a larger guage
>secondary wire;

?  good point.  .  .  IOW more copper and less paper.

But isn't the transformer utilisation factor worse with the doubler, leading
to higher peak currents, and so more loss? OK, so resistance is less, but
loss is I squared R. This makes the choice more difficult. I think I'd go
for the bridge because of this...but I prefer the tuned choke input with the
bridge to reduce strain on the tranformer and rectifiers.

73

Peter G3RZP