[AMPS] Bridge vs. Doubler

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Bridge vs. Doubler
From: k8cc@ix.netcom.com (David A. Pruett)
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 19:00:30 -0400
Rich wrote:

"because a doubler is full-wave -- i.e., current flows on both half
cycles.  The trouble with half-wave is that DC flows in the transformer's
secondary winding."

I'm afraid that I can't agree, but maybe we're arguing semantics.

Assuming the typical doubler schematic, on the positive half cycle one
rectifier charges the "top" capacitor.  On the negative half cycle, the
other rectifier charges the "bottom" capacitor.  So, each capacitor gets
charged half of the time.  Maybe this is full wave, but its not full wave
like a bridge where the entire capacitor bank gets charged on both
positive and negative half cycles.

I still maintain that a doubler is simply two "stacked" half wave
rectifiers, and that the regulation will always be inferior to a full
wave bridge, assuming equal total C and reasonably equal transformer
design and sizing.

Rich, what I don't understand is:

1) What do you mean by "half wave rectifiers have DC in the winding"
and why does the doubler not have this condition?

2) Why does the FWB need "four times the wire in the secondary?  I would
understand two times...

73,

Dave/K8CC