[AMPS] Amp Tuning (was 3-500Z Grid Current Rating)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Amp Tuning (was 3-500Z Grid Current Rating)
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 09:40:38 +0100
Rich says:

> L-networks are never resonant.

You have to be careful on your definition of 'resonance' here. If you say
that resonance is where the tank circuit provides to the plate a pure
resistance equal to the design load resistance, then you have one situation.
(I think this is the one that Rich has for maximum output - i.e. optimum
load) Of course, the output capacity of the tube has to get tuned out in
this. Under this situation, you'll get a different answer to measuring the
'resonant' frequency of the tank with a GDO. Similarly, 'resonance' as 1/[2
pi. sq. rt LC] is not 'resonance' as a purely resistive input impedance in
an L network.

In fact, we learnt 5 different definitions of resonance at
college..........the best one is that the applied V and I are in phase.

So until we have a uniformally accepted definition of resonance, it's like
the Dodo race from Alice in Wonderland - 'Everyone has won, and everyone
must have a prize.'

Who said political correctness was something new?

73

Peter G3RZP