FW: [AMPS] 8877s and MRIs?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: FW: [AMPS] 8877s and MRIs?
From: w4eto@rainbow.rmii.com (Richard W. Ehrhorn)
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 12:33:48 -0600
Barry...

ETO 16 kW (peak) amps used in virtually all GE, Picker, Philips & Toshiba
1.5 Tesla MRI systems from 1984-89 were servo-tuned and bandswitched with
digital stepping motors. They used a pair of 8877s. Quite a few of the same
amps also were used in smaller Philips systems - down to 0.5T. After 1989
GE changed to single frequency amps using one 3CPX5000A7 (3CX15000B7 with 5
kW cooler) or YU-, YC-, etc "special or private version" equivalents. I
think most Philips and Picker 1.5T systems followed suit by about 1990-91,
'though a trickle of the 2x8877 amps was delivered until fairly recently.
New, single-frequency amps of single-8877 design have recently gone into
service in the same general range of system sizes, by one or two of the
above companies other than GE. Sorry, I can't be more specific.

So far as I know, Siemens is the only major high-field (1.0-2.0 Tesla
magnets) MRI supplier that never used 8877 amps; they evidently made their
own at first, and later have had a captive (?) supplier. Think they also
were the only major outfit to use tetrodes (big ones).

Less well know companies (e.g., Israel's Elscint) made some high-field
MRI's, too, and quite a few other companies made mid- and low-field models
- 0.5T down to 0.03T or so. Most of the latter probably had rf amps of 1 kW
or lower peak output. I'd hazard a guess that GE, Picker, Philips & Siemens
have accounted for 90+% of the world high-field market from the mid-80s to
present. Market share evidently has shifted quite a bit recently, but it's
doubtful that the group of major players has changed. Finally, I think most
of the GE 8877 amps were surplused-off during the mid-90s - various
chasses, parts and assemblies have shown up all over the ham surplus
market.

Good luck -- and watch out for 8877s with the '87-89 code dates that I've
warned about on the reflector. They should be long gone by now in any case.