[AMPS] Vox

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Vox
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 99 09:44:54 -0500
>Certainly with modern cordless phones using TDD (Time Division Duplex) such
>as DECT,  or cellular phones using TDD, such as GSM or the American IS136 -
>or even the now obsolete European CT2.

Well, OK, you got me there, Peter.

Although, the switching that occurs is not so much of a vox, but a
channel sharing arrangement.  When your call occupies the channel it is
full duplex in both directions.  Fortunately, there is enough persistence
in our speech and in our hearing as well that the system does work being
on for a couple of milliseconds and off for several more.  Plus using
digital sampling theory it is easy to reconstruct the entire waveform.

But I wouldn't call it true vox as it's not a voice activated system and
it isn't used to switch between my talking and listening.

Now, my speaker phone in my office uses VOX and that can get annoying!
But it needs to to eliminate feedback.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting!

Jon Ogden

jono@enteract.com
www.qsl.net/ke9na