[AMPS] TL-922 Filament Transformer Protection

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] TL-922 Filament Transformer Protection
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 22:08:28 -0400
Rich wrote:

> ?  I agree that current transients brought about by hotswitching
> stimulate parasites.  .  However, bending contact supports will not
> prevent hotswitching if RF comes down the pipe before the relay contacts
> have stopped bouncing.   The fix for hotswitching is either to buy a
> TS820S, or to install high speed switching  (approx. $60).

Not true.

If you simply close the antenna connection contact before the input
connection contact, all internal arcing problems from hot-switching
disappear.

That simple change makes sure the amplifier is connected to a
load before drive is applied.

It does not cure the leading edge click that is generated when the
relay closes while RF is present, but at least it stops bandswitch
and tuning cap failures, and other arcs caused by hot switching.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com