[AMPS] parasitic fantasia

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] parasitic fantasia
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 99 09:15:29 -0500

>Typical amateur amps are actually rather modestly shielded at
>VHF. They rely heavily on low impedance on the anode and
>cathode of the tube to hold direct VHF radiation on TV channels to
>a minimum.

I thought that most of the TVI reduction came from the low pass action of
the tank circuit.  Or are we saying the same thing?

>If the cap was "parallel resonant" with a high impedance, the amp
>would likely be a nightmare in many ways.

Tom, help me understand something here.  One of the things that can cause
an amp to oscillate is a low impedance path from the anode to ground.  If
a high impedance is introduced at the resonant frequency it can prevent
the oscillations from occuring.  This is definitely what I believe I've
done with my amp and I have no nichrome in the anode and no resonant dip
at 80 MHz (typical for 4-1K) either.  So help me reconcile your statement
and my experience.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting!

Jon Ogden

jono@enteract.com
www.qsl.net/ke9na