[AMPS] TL-922 Filament Transformer Protection

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] TL-922 Filament Transformer Protection
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 22:18:29 -0700

>Rich says:
>
>>?  A vhf suppressor partly de-Qs the anode-resonance by stagger-tuning
>>it.  This is accomplished by having two current paths of differing L,  by
>>aiming the two electromagnetic fields 90-degrees apart, and by causing
>>roughly equal vhf current to flow in R-sup and L-sup.  Naturally the
>>differing L requirement depends on there being a substantial lack of
>>inductance in R-sup.
>
>Sorry, Rich, I totally disagree.
>

>The parasitic suppressor works by increasing inductance in the plate circuit
>until the plate parasitic resonant frequency is lower than the grid
>parasitic resonant frequency. See Terman's 'Radio Engineering'.

?   page number?

>So parasitics can be suppressed purely by adding inductance. It's often easier
>however, to not pull the plate circuit that far LF, but to reduce the
>dynamic impedance of the plate parasitic suppressor by adding resistance as
>well tuning the plate parasitic resonance lower.

?  In a typical 3-500Z vhf-suppressor, R-sup has 10nH of L and L-sup has
100nH.  Are you saying that less L in R-sup tunes the anode resonance
lower in freq.?

>There is only one parasitic plate resonant circuit.

?  Are you saying that it is impossible to create a broader resonance
with one capacitor and two inductors that have different amounts of L,
that are not mutually-coupled?

>It does not get shocked into oscillation by switching the bias unless the
>resonance is above or very close to above, the grid VHF parasitic resonance.

?  In the 922, the grid resonance is c. 90MHz, and the anode resonance is
c. 130MHz.

>If it can be so easily shocked, why do you not see non-harmonically related
>outputs from all amplifiers?

?  The damped-wave VHF ringing in the anode circuit can not pass through
the lowpass tank.  To see anode-resonance ringing, the spectrum analyzer
is somewhat-gingerly coupled to the anode with some sort of hi-pass
arrangement.

 > After all, an amp or so of pulse plate current
>every 71.43 nanoseconds (i.e. the fundamental plate current pulse when
>operating on 14 MHz) should shock excite this VHF circuit much better than a
>200mA pulse every 40 milliseconds or so from an el bug sending dits.

?  I have not measured the rise times.  However, big-bangs in 922s have
reportedly happened both ways.

-  cheers, Peter

Rich...